Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cheat Alert!



Yesterday evening I was invited to my little cousin's birthday extravaganza and as much as I tried to restrain myself from giving in to the tempting delights-I caved in. I mean, how could I stop myself from the mouth-watering Nigerian dishes-Jellof rice, spiced chicken, marinated fish, puff puff (Nigerian donuts), fried plantains and meat pies? I just couldn't turn away and yes I indulged myself and didn't look back.

If it were me 2-5 years ago, I would have gone away from the situation feeling extremely guilty about so called "cheating" on my diet. But is it really "cheating" or was my action just part of my new found lifestyle towards health? Call it what you will, I see my actions as a part of being human and a part of my journey towards health. As much as I would love to be perfect on my diet and keep it as clean as possible, I'm learning that I may not always face those situations where I have the luxury of being perfect. The most important thing is that if you have those days where you stray away from your diet, you immediately go back to eating clean the following day-no excuses!

If you're not at that point yet and can't get past the simple act of straying from your diet-you can give Johanna Hall's Contingency Plan for Cheating a try. I came across this a while back and found it useful for those days I was far from perfect with my diet:

What is it?
An action that is put in place once you feel you have taken a back step on your weight loss journey.


What is its Aim?
To help you get on track and keep on track so that your lapse doesn't become a collapse. A Contingency Plan for Cheating stops you from feeling like you're failing. It puts you firmly in control, reinforcing your Template of Success, and stopping the Template of Failure from taking hold.

What are the Guidelines of a Contingency Plan for Cheating?

1. Play the 300 Calorie Game.
Eat 300 fewer calories the day before an event and be sure to fit in a structured exercise session. Then eat 300 calories the day after. This can be done by cutting back on a snack or limiting portions. If you want you can fit in another exercise session.

2. Double Carb Curfew
Introduce a double carb curfew-lunch and supper-but do still have some slow releasing carbs at breakfast.

3. Stay Hydrated
Keep on top of properly hydrating yourself with water through-out the day.

4. Veg-up!
Use liquid foods to help curb your hunger and preserve your energy. Make yourself a vegetable based soup to eat before you go out to your function-this will help curb your appetite and line your stomach.

5. Burn those Calories by: Walking a mile; accumulating 2000 steps on your pedometer; walking up and down your stairs for 5 minutes continuously; dancing enthusiastically to your favorite music for 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment