Sunday, February 21, 2010

Michael Pollan's Food Rules


Looking for a good read? I highly recommend Michael Pollan's, "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. Trust me when I say that after reading this book you will never look at food the same again and your relationship with food may even change as well.

I learned about Pollan's "Food Rules" after watching a recent episode on Oprah entitled, "Food 101 with Michael Pollen". The whole premise of the show was to uncover the hidden secrets behind the many foods we eat, along with where they come from, what's been added into them, and what's been removed from them.

This show was certainly an eye-opener for me as I discovered that many of the foods we put into our bodies are harmful in nature and affect our health in more ways than you canimagine. I'll be honest in stating that I knew that a lot of the CRAP I ate before wasn't all that good for my body, but I chose to ignore it because the food taste so good and, to be frank with you, I just didn't care. But now after an in depth look into the practices of food manufactures, my outlook on food has totally changed.

Michael Pollan's "Food Rules"lays out a basic, straightforward approach to eating, summed up in 7 simple words : "Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants". These 7 simple words offer a simple equation for eating healthy, finding health and living happily.

The book is an easy, simple guide which is broken down into 3 sections and offers 64 basic principles for making healthy and conscious choices when it comes to food. The first section centers around eating nutritious, wholesome foods, while avoiding processed, packaged and refined ones; the second section offers rules for differentiating between various types of foods and choosing among real ones; and the third section offers tips aimed at modifying your eating habits. The best thing about this book is that it offers simple, practical advice that anyone can follow without getting bogged down with scientific jargon, theory and history often associated with other books on diet and nutrition.

If you're looking to make healthy changes in your life and choose health first, then this book is for you. I haven't done so bad as far as making small changes to my eating habits, but after reading this book I know I can do better and so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment