Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Declaration of Independence from a Weight Obsessed World!!

One of my friends who I admire and respect dearly posted this on facebook recently, so I thought I'd share. It's a Declaration of Independence from a Weight Obsessed World put out by The National Eating Disorder Information Center and offers a nice little reminder on the importance of accepting and appreciating your body and not getting hung up in trying to fit into society's standards of perfection...enjoy!


Declaration of Independence from a Weight Obsessed World:

*I will accept my body in its natural shape and size.

*I will celebrate all that my body can do for me each day.

* I will treat my body with respect, giving it enough rest, fueling it with a variety of foods, exercising moderately and listening to what it needs.

* I will choose to resist our society's pressure to judge myself and other people on physical characteristics like body weight, shape, or size. I will respect people based on the qualities of their character and the impact of their accomplishments.

* I will refuse to deny my body of valuable nutrients by dieting or using weight loss products

* I will avoid categorizing foods as either "good" or "bad". I will not associate guilt or shame with eating certain foods. Instead, I will nourish my body with a balance of foods, listening and responding to what it needs.

* I will not use food to mask my emotional needs.

* I will not avoid participating in activities that I enjoy (i.e. swimming, dancing, enjoying a meal) simply because I am self consious about the way my body looks. I will recognize that I have the right to enjoy any activities regardless of my body shape or size.

* I will believe that my self-esteem and identity come from
within!

No comments:

Post a Comment