Sunday, February 21, 2010

Nutrition and Fitness Tips!

One habit I’ve gotten into ever since starting on my weightloss journey is keeping a running list in my personal journal of nutritional and fitness tips I’ve come across while reading fitness magazines, talking to health experts, and of course spending time on forums such as my two favorite sites: www.sparkpeople.com and www.bodybuilding.com. Doing this helps keep me motivated and more committed then ever in pursuing my goals.

Below you will find a list I’ve started in my journal with really great tips I'm sure you'll find usefull (please note that I’ll continue updating this list as I come across more tips).

1. The easiest and sure way to lose weight is by changing your mind set and not viewing your diet as a "diet" but a lifestyle change.

2. Be sure to incorporate each of the food groups into your diet, that includes Carbs, Protein, Fats, and Dairy. Omitting any of these will leave you feeling deprived and undernourished.

3. Watch your portions! A little trick that works for me is using what I call the "Pie-square Method" of Eating. What I do is when about to eat is split my place into sections-1/2 the plate only for vegetables; 1/4 of the plate for protein, and the other 1/4 for Carbs.

4. Drink your Water! Water acts as a natural cleanser and is one of the best ways to rid yourself of impurities and waste from your body…and if you didn’t already know-water aids with weight loss as well.

5. Don’t underestimate the power of PATIENCE! Remember it took time for you to pile on the pounds and it will also take time to lose, so hang in there and you will certainly see results!

6. Eating Clean guarantees results!

7. Successful weight loss is based on the 80:20 rule; 80% nutrition, 10% genes, and 10% fitness.

8. Eat 5 or 6 smalls meals everyday!

9. Eat every 2-3 hours.

10. Write down and record everything you eat (every morsel of food)!

11. If you need it, give yourself one cheat meal a week so that you can enjoy foods that you don’t normally eat.

12. Find healthy alternatives to your favorite meals and treats and incorporate them into your diet.

13. Consume foods like fruits, whole grain carbs and starches at the beginning of the day when you are more likely to be busiest and have a better chance of burning the calories away.

14. Say no to sugar!!!

15. Be consistent with your efforts!!! Don’t give up so quickly if you aren’t seeing results. Remember, it takes time for you body to adjust to the changes you’re imposing on it (this can take anywhere from 2-3 months).

16. Track your progress every 4-8 weeks. Measuring your progress using these guidelines gives you an accurate measure of how much your hard work is paying off.

17. Take your photo every six weeks. Use each six week date as one of your "mini" goals.

18. Post a motivational picture or statement, or even your goal somewhere that’s visible to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment